Saturday, March 5, 2011

R&R in Cuweh

After the Chinese New Year holidays, I felt I badly needed another holiday. So I took another holiday, albeit a short one. I spent a weekend with KC, Mei and Troy in Cuweh.



A tranquil Orang Asli village in Temenggor


Children rafting from village to village


Osprey hunting in the lake


Waking up when dawn is breaking


So quiet, so tranquil, so calming

Aaah....I am so rested and feel so rejuvenated



PLAY TIME AT CUWEH







Scenes of innocence and joy, but I worry. The forest is disappearing right before their very eyes. Are they going to be able to live the way their forebears lived? Are they going to be able to join the mainstream? They have no education. The nearest schools are in Gerik and Air Bainun, which requires transport by water then by road. What does the future hold for them? What can be done to ensure they have a future?


From Book 1 of PARADISE LOST
(John Milton)

Of Mans First Disobedience, and the Fruit
Of that Forbidden Tree, whose mortal tast
Brought Death into the World, and all our woe,
With loss of Eden, till one greater Man


The forest disappearing on barges and lorries:
The following photos are from my recent trip,

This load is heading for Banding Island


This load is heading for Air Bainun

Can paradise be regained?

1 comment:

  1. You have some awesome photos on your blog. A lot of the pictures are very familiar; I've been to Belum-Temengor as well.. beautiful place in Malaysia, too bad about the huge impact from logging activities.

    ReplyDelete